Marital status: Married
Date of Birth: 1953
Place of Birth: Thessaloniki, Greece
Mary Bossis is Associate Professor at the Department of International Relations at the University of Piraeus in Greece. Her research interests focus on issues of International Security and Terrorism. During her carrier she has been a lecturer in a number of Academic Institutions and a researcher in prestigious Think Tanks and International Organizations. Further, she has worked as Special Advisor to the Minister in Ministries of the Greek Government. Her writing work includes significant books concerning security issues and a number of articles about International Relations.
|1994,||Political Scientist, Ph.D. of Law School, Dimokritio University of Thrace – Greece|
|1979,||M.A. in Political Science and International Relations Νortheastern University Boston Mass.|
|1977,||B.A. in Political Science, Νortheastern University Boston Mass|
|1974,||A.A. in History, Dutchess C. College, Pougkeepsie, N.Y. A.A|
LANGUAGES – COMPUTER SKILLS
- Greek (Native Speaker)
- English (Fluently)
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook and Internet.
LECTURING & TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- Associate Professor at the University of Pireaus (Dept. of International & European Studies).
- Lecturer at the Graduate Program “International Relations and Strategic Studies”, Panteion University, Athens.
- Teacher at the School of National Security and the School of National Defense.
- Lecturer at the “Master’s Degree in Southeast European Studies”, Athens University.
- Lecturer at the Diplomatic Academy of the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
WRITER OF THE BOOKS
- Greece and Terrorism – National and International Dimensions (1996)
- Matters of Security in the “New World Order”(1999)
- On Defining Terrorism (2000)
- Anti- Terrorism Legislation. Greece and International Environment (2004)
- Sea Piracy - Terrorism (2012)
- Special Advisor to the Minister in the Ministries of:
- Mercantile Marine
- Public Order
- Scientific Director of the Research Program “Balkans Observatory Vol A” sponsored by the Greek Thing Tank ISTAME 1998-1999.
- Scientific Director of the Research Program “Domestic Security - Minorities”, sponsored by the Greek Ministry of Defense. 1/12/1999 – 31/1/2000.
- Scientific Director of the Research Program “NATO’s new role and Greece” sponsored by the Greek Ministry of Defense 1/12/1999 – 31/1/2000.
- Scientific Director of the Research Program “The problem of Terrorism in Greece and the possible consequences to the organization of the Olympic Games of 2004” sponsored by the Greek Ministry of Defense.
- Scientific Director of the Research Program “The relations between Turkey, Romania and Bulgaria” sponsored by the Greek Ministry of Defense.
- Scientific Director of the Research Program “Security and Stability in the Area of Caucasus”, sponsored by the Greek Ministry of Defense”.
- Scientific Director of the Research Program “Balkans Observatory Vol B” sponsored by the Greek Thing Tank ISTAME 2000-2001.
- Scientific Director of the Research Program “Mediterranean Observatory” sponsored by the Greek Thing Tank ISTAME 2000-2001.
- “Οrganized Crime in the Balkans”, ΕΛΙΑΜΕΠ. The Southeast European YEARBOOK 1998 –1999, Athens
- “Die organisierte Kriminalitat auf dem Balkan”. Organisierte Kriminalitat – Bestandsaufnahme Transnationale Dimension Wege der Bekampfung (editors: Reinhard C. Meler – Walser/Gerhard Hirscher/ Klaus Lange/ Enrico Palumbo (Hrsg), pp. 197-219. Hans Seidel – Stiftung eV – Akademie Fur Politic und Zeitgeschehen, Μunchen 1999.
- “Roots of Conflict and Sustainable Peace Process: The Arab-Israeli War”, Journal of Southern Europe and the Balkans
- “Greek Political Violence”, Terrorism and Counterterrorism in Europe: A Comparative Analysis, Κluwer Law International, Marianne Van Leewen (edit.), 2003, σελ. 129-144.
- “Threats and Challenges of International Terrorism in South Eastern Europe: Breading Ground or Regional Specificity” Rand Corp. και του UCLA (University of California), (www.terrorism.com)
- “The Evolution of Political Violence”, Defensor Pacis (Greek Ministry of Defence), Issue 3, September 1999.
- “Crisis and Conflict in the Mediterranean Region: The Question of Prevention”, 2001 SAFIA (Student Association For International Affairs)
- “Societies in Transition and Conflict”, Τhesis (Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs), Vol. II, Issue No 4, Winter 1998 – 1999.
- “International Relations in the Post-Cold War Era”, EUROBALKANS 37-38, Spring/Summer 2000
PARTICIPATION IN INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCES AND MEETINGS
- “Where is Power? a Conference on Democracy and Influence in the Age of Globalization”, Palme Days, Olaf Palme International Center. Stockholm 14-15 of July,1997
- "Balkan Regional Changes and the Future of Bosnia Herzegovina", Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Iran, "Federal System and Multiethnic State in Europe". Teheran 25-26/8/97
- "European Social Democracy: Transformation in Progress"Gustav Heinemann Akademie of the Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, Political - Academic European Conference,. Freudenberg, Germany 27-29 of October 1997
- "Combating Terrorism: A Brief Look Back and Prospects for the Future". "UN DAY CELEBRATIONS" of PINEWOOD SCHOOL. Thessaloniki, 23 of October 1998
- "Safety of the Balkans, Temptations and Possible Solutions", "Εurope at the Crossroad - New Walls or a United Europe?" Belgrade, 28-29 of April 1999
- "Ιnternational Crime Issues", State Department/United States Information Agency, USA, 1-25 of June 1999
- "Societies in Transition and Conflict", "34th World Congress of the International Institute of Sociology - Μultiple Modernities in an Era of Globalization". Israel 11-15 1999
- “Αlbanian Organized Crime and Domestic Security”, Ηanns-Seidel-Stiftung Munich, 5-6 July 2000
- “Violence and Politics in Modern Society”, ΕUROMED Hague, 26th of September 2000.
- “Domestic Security and Organised Crime in Albania” “South Eastern European Security on the Eve of XXI Century” Center for Eastern European Studies (CSEES) & Konrad Adenauer, Belgrade, 17-20 May 2001.
- “ROUNDTABLE ON SMALL ARMS”. Tackling small arms diffusion in South Eastern Europe: Towards a sub-regional action programme in the context of the Stability Pact”. Hungary 14-15 of September 2001.
- “Existing and Pottential Terrorist Treats for the Region”, 5th International Meeting of Τhe Black Sea Strategy Group Athens, 27-29 November, 2001.
- “The New Global Security Agenda in Asia and Europe: Transnational Crimes and Prospects for Asia-Europe Co-operation” organized by Αsia – Europe Foundation, (ASEF) and the Danish Institute for International Affairs (DUPI), Copenhagen, 27-28 of May 2002.
- “Political Violence in Greece: Experience and Threat Perceptions”, Wilton Park Conference on Responding to International Terrorism: Forging Effective Responses After the 2001 Attack on the US. Wilton Park 20 – 22 of September 2002.
- “International Symposium on the World Affairs in the 21st Century”. Beijing, 21-24 of October 2002.
- The Future of World Order” organized by the Center for the Studies and Research of the Green Book. Libya, 17-18 of May 2003.
- CSTPV International Conference “Terrorism and Human Rights, St Andrews University, “The role of national legislation and legal systems in combating terrorism” Edinburgh, 13-15 of July 2003
- 3rd International Conference of the International Policy Institute for Counter-Terrorism (IDC) “Post Modern Terrorism - Trends, Scenarios, and Future Threats”. “Terrorism and the Olympic Games”. Israel, 8-9 of September 2003.
- The Los Angeles Terrorism Earlywarning Group”, Rand Corp. και του UCLA (University of California), “Threats and Challenges of International Terrorism in South Eastern Europe: Breeding Ground or Regional Specificity?”. Los Angeles 1st of February 2005.
- Key note speaker at Εuroscience Open Forum (ESOF) 2006, Munich, Germany 15-19 of July 2006.